This global law has over 600 lawyers working across their office in across their offices in the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Asia and Australia and are recognised for their sector focused expertise, particularly within construction, aviation, shipping, insurance, commodities, and energy.
The firm have over 200 lawyers and 13 Master Mariners worldwide, specialising in maritime law. In London, the team consists of 27 Partners, 47 Associates, and 9 Trainees. The team's maritime lawyers are experts across dry shipping, admiralty and crisis management, and transactional work. The represent the full spectrum of those involved in the industry, including shipowners and charterers, P&I Clubs, banks, international agencies, shipyards, marine insurance underwriters, governments and brokers.
Within the firm's Shipping Group, they also have their growing and market-leading Sustainable Maritime Legal Transport practice, which involves both decarbonisation and low carbon/net zero emission fuels and sustainable (ESG) practices. The team is experienced in dealing with international maritime environmental compliance and regulatory issues, including those relating to MARPOL (air pollution, energy efficiency and low carbon fuels), sustainability, decarbonisation, emissions trading and renewable energy. This is an opportunity to join this practice as part of a dynamic and forward-thinking team, delivering on solutions for clients in a cross-sectoral and evolving maritime industry.
This role is primarily to work within the Sustainable Maritime Legal Transport practice inside the London Shipping group. The right candidate will have at least 6 years' experience in the maritime and transport sector, advising on physical transport contracts and disputes arising therefrom. The role will involve advising clients across the entire physical transport chain in the green and sustainable maritime space, with a focus on maritime (air pollution) regulations and environmental compliance, decarbonisation, ESG, alternative and sustainable maritime fuels and technologies/solutions. Experience in, or a desire to commit to this specialism, is preferred. The candidate may also be required to support cases that involve commercial shipping litigation.
Key Skills & Experience Required
- Qualified lawyer with approximately 6 years' PQE, currently operating at Senior Associate level or equivalent, with responsibility for managing others
- Knowledge and experience of advising on physical transport contracts (charterparties, bills of lading, contracts of affreightment, sale contracts, ship management agreements etc) and handling disputes in the English High Court and arbitration
- Knowledge and experience dealing with global (MARPOL) and regional regulations (EU Fit for 55) impacting the maritime sector (desired)
- Knowledge and experience of advising on fuel / bunker disputes (desired)
- You will be used to taking on a high degree of responsibility for the cases that you work on
- You will be motivated, enthusiastic and able to thrive in a fast-paced working environment
- You will relish client contact, with strong business development and client engagement skills
- You will also be expected to play an active role in practice and business development, including writing articles and briefings for publications / clients in relation to the Sustainable Maritime Legal Transport practice
- International travel may be required
Please apply as directed or confidentially contact Aidan McAvinue at Search Legal for more information. Alternatively, if this role is not for you, I am working a variety of other Shipping opportunities with ranked teams in the City London so would be interested to talk to any Shipping lawyer.
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.