We are working with a Tier 1 Civil Engineering contractor that has an exciting opportunity for a Project Manager to join their Regional team to work across the M1 corridor in the East Midlands and Lincolnshire.
The majority of the works are centred around the highways discipline. Although it would be beneficial to come from a highways background the client is willing to accept applications from candidates with a strong background in general heavy civil engineering.
The main purpose of the role is to:
- Provide overall control, management and take sole responsibility for the delivery of section of the site based construction project work and/or assist (Senior) Project Manager in the management and delivery of sections of a larger scale project or projects;
- To provide management, leadership and control of a multi-disciplinary team. Management of trade contractors and their integration is key to the role, as is an ability to manage site logistics;
- To meet customer specifications (safety, quality, time, etc.) such that all risk, specification and project objectives are met in full.
The main duties of the role have been defined as:
- Overall responsibility for the successful completion of the section or works/overall project and to lead by example, managing the day to day delivery of construction projects;
- Ensure site records are accurately maintained and available;
- Ensure all team members are fully inducted and carry out role specific requirements, identifying opportunities for improvement;
- Lead and motivate the team and manage performance, undertaking training/ coaching as appropriate;
- Draw up and monitor short term programmes;
- Maintain accurate progress records;
- Deliver regular Toolbox Talks and positively engage the team;
- Awareness of budget, cost control and cost recovery, ensuring that expenditure is in line with the contract budget and that resources are utilised efficiently.
- Health Safety & Environmental:
- Responsible for the safety and welfare of the general public, staff and supply chain within area of control under the strict observance of the safety policy and in conjunction with local
- Carry out periodic Safety & Environment Tours as required by the Project H & S Plan;
- Support Accident / Incident Investigations;
- Identify and implement improvement options and lead action / instigate as appropriate;
- Lead periodic risk reviews and present to the Project Risk Register, and recommend changes;
- Monitor effectiveness of the H & S Management System;
- Keep up to date with changes in legislation and cascade information to the team.
- Manage sub-contractors, including monitoring of contractor attendance and progress, providing direct instruction and support as necessary, such that contractual arrangements are achieved;
- Produce and regularly review the project programme to ensure completion on time
- Maintain targets and KPI's in line with Project objectives and monitor performance;
- Ensure site audits are undertaken and take appropriate action on the findings;
- Proactively implement systems and processes to manage the quality of the constructive works;
- Lead working groups focused on Improvement Areas.
- Carry out constructive analysis of fully resourced programme and report findings;
- Manage sub-contractor performance based on KPI's;
- Ensure production of operational target programmes to reflect overall construction programme;
- Liaise with Project Manager to keep fully aware of project progress and ensure that all additional work is identified and that the Senior Project Team are notified of all potential opportunities and financial, specification and time risks;
- Lead weekly team meetings to review performance on site.
To be considered for the role you need to be able to demonstrate:
- Experience of leading teams, and confidence in the ability to lead, influence and communicate with others to deliver targets are required;
- The ability to communicate effectively is required to manage customer relationships, in addition to strong planning and organisation skills to deliver operational excellence and efficiency;
- Financial awareness is required to deliver targets, with a desire to continuously improve safety and sustainability performance;
- An appropriate and valid CSCS card is required.
The following qualities and experience are desirable:
- A relevant professional qualification, such as APMP, and a relevant technical qualification;
- Experience of Lean Construction principles and Lean practitioner training
- Previous experience in project management within the relevant industry.
For full details please contact James Ranson
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.