We are working with a specialist ground engineering contractor that is expanding their busy Operations team, and are looking for experienced Principal Engineering Geologists to join them, working on a range of projects within the field of Site Investigation and ground stabilisation engineering.
This is an exciting opportunity for those with a solid understanding of UK geology who are looking for their next challenge and the opportunity to increase knowledge and responsibility, within a friendly and ambitious environment.
Working in a fast paced, varied role, you will be required to manage day to day operational site control of contracts of varying sizes within the UK, focusing on safety, quality, productivity, cost control, performance to programme and customer service.
Based out of offices in Leeds you will work on site (nationwide) and in the office, managing fieldwork activities, including assisting with the preparation of health and safety documentation before and during any site works, together with collating of data, and scheduling the analysis of soil and water samples, along with report writing, whilst providing support and mentoring to junior engineers.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
* Assist Contracts and Operational Management in allocating rigs and labour to contracts and ensuring efficient use of resources.
* Meeting clients/clients representatives (e.g. project manager/CDM co-ordinator) at pre-contract stage where required by attending pre-contract meetings.
* Communicating contract/clients requirements to subordinate engineers and site teams. (including allocation of individual contract roles and responsibilities).
* On-site and remote supervision and management of multiple contract works ensuring the works are carried out correctly, efficiently (on programme), safely and in accordance with the contract specification (including technical guidance) and Company quality procedures.
* Produce/Approve safety documentation (including CDM Safety Plan) where required, method statements and quality plans as required.
* Provide assistance to site management team, in liaison with safety, quality, commercial and estimating departments.
* Procurement of plant & equipment for contracts.
* Ensuring plant and equipment is suitable, efficiently utilised, on & off hired promptly and not abused.
* Procurement/Appointment & control of Subcontractors including ensuring required safety and work standard is attained.
* Assist with training junior staff on and offsite.
* Review and sign off sub-contractor payment certificates.
* Direct, where required, borehole location and sampling, specifying and interpreting in-situ testing, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, control of samples, preparation (where required) and checking of contract technical output (borehole logs & test results).
* Direct, where required, drilling & grouting contracts (including specialist grouting techniques), establishment of grid/borehole locations, execution of grouting works, grout production, quality control, sampling, preparation and review of laboratory test schedules, preparation (where required) and checking of correct technical output (drilling & grouting records).
* Quality checking logs and factual reports generated by others prior to issue to the client.
* Production of contract reports, (writing, compilation, checking and issue of reports).
* Review weekly internal timesheets from current contracts and set production targets to site teams prior to submission to Contracts Manager/Payroll.
* Monitor weekly progress against programme requirements, establishing weekly contract values, costs and sub contract liabilities.
* Ensure required site outputs and reports are produced (progress / safety / commercial / quality).
* Financially review contracts with Senior Management, to obtain optimum progress and returns.
* Monitor financial and commercial performance of allocated contracts.
* Progress the works, and attend progress meetings with client/clients representatives as required.
* Oversee contract correspondence and ensure that it is dealt with.
* Liaison with commercial department and following up works through to final account settlement (including production of monthly applications).
* Provide feedback to relevant departments to assist with pricing, programming and on site operations.
* Encourage best practice.
* Identify and pursue cost reduction and efficiency initiatives with subordinate engineers and site teams.
* Review monthly applications for payment and final account applications.
* Preparation of relevant weekly cost sheets/monthly CVR's.
Knowledge and Experience required:
* Civil Engineering / Geology related Degree or equivalent qualification.
* Significant experience within the geotechnical industry with solid understanding of ground conditions, Drilling and Site Investigation works.
* Good understanding of geotechnical processes and contract management.
* Excellent understanding of written English and good standard of letter writing.
* Strong IT skills, including Microsoft office, database maintenance and reporting.
* Excellent communication skills.
* Good interpersonal skills to liaise with clients and members of the regional team.
* Commercial knowledge and experience / level of contractual awareness.
* Good customer-service focus and a professional approach.
* Full UK driving licence.
Physical Working Environment:
This vacancy will be based from a regional office in Leeds, with travel to sites across the UK, so a full UK driving licence and willingness to work on sites is essential. The role involves frequent travel throughout the UK, visiting sites, including periods of site based work where required.
In return, on offer is a rewarding career and competitive remuneration package
For more information please call James Ranson
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.