Neighbourhood Officer - Level 2
£14.82 per hour
Do you want to work for one of the busiest, most exciting local authorities in the country? Looking for a new challenge? Why not join Manchester City Council
We are looking to recruit a Neighbourhood Officer on a temporary basis. Working pattern involves a mixture of shifts (from nights up to 4.30 am and day shifts).
The team works on an 8 week shift pattern made up of earlies (08.00 - 16.30), lates (11.30 - 20.00) and nights (20.45 - 04.30).
An attractive shift allowance package is in place to support this. The mixture of shifts is part of the job's unique appeal - we want people who can work a case from start to finish, experiencing job satisfaction from knowing you've helped develop a good outcome. You can really make a difference in this role.
We are looking for a number of people to help make our city centre thrive. We have 2 posts in our Licensing and Out of Hours Compliance Team.
Our city is ambitious, full of history and innovation. We're one of the first local authorities in the country to be able to offer this exciting role. You'll be part of a new team, formed just 18 months ago, which is improving our city by ensuring people stick to the rules.
You will be carrying out a range of activities which will include enquiries and investigations into licensing, noise nuisance, street trading, smoking indoors and other related issues that take place across the city, which could result in enforcement (legal) action or the compliance of the businesses or individuals involved.
You will not be stuck behind a desk - you will be responsible for a varied and interesting caseload that will include but not be limited to:
* Undertaking investigations of individuals and businesses and where necessary taking enforcement action,
* Dealing with street based face to face compliance/enforcement,
* Programmed premises inspections,
* Attending major events (including at Heaton Park, Manchester Arena and Castlefield Bowl
* Commenting on licence applications and attending Committee
Responsibilities of the role:
* The team deal with all complaints of domestic noise across the city as well as noise from commercial and licensed premises. This is normally address using the legislation set out in the Environmental Protection Act 1990. We also deal with construction noise from building sites.
* The licensing side of the role is about looking at new licenses that have been submitted and commenting on these, as well as carrying out visits to licensed premises to ensure that they are compliant with their conditions. If they are not we work with the premises to address this which can lead to enforcement action.
* We carry out street trading and pedlar enforcement in the City Centre and around events, such as Parklife, football matches at the Etihad etc. This is around ensuring that the traders have the correct permissions and they are following the rules set out in legislation. For Pedlars we use the Manchester Act 2010. If traders are in breach of this we will carry out seizures and prosecutions.
* We carry out smoke free enforcement (smoking indoors), particularly around shisha premises. This is done using fixed penalty notices to those smoking and we also prosecute the premises for allowing this.
* In addition to the above we have involvement in all major event which take place in the city, such as Pride, Summer in the City, Etihad concerts, Parklife etc. We also run a number of initiatives around students to ensure that are aware of the issues of living within a residential community.
Manchester is a vibrant place to live and work with world renowned cultural and sporting venues and excellent transport links and housing options. Manchester is a city that is driving forward and its economy and population are continuing to grow. You will get to experience the city in a new way in this role.
The growth of the city is underpinned by the individual qualities of innovation, hard work and enterprise and we require equally inspired and dedicated individuals to regulate and support our businesses so we can continue to be a world class city.
If you have the required skills and are an excellent communicator then we want to hear from you.
To be considered for this role you must be:
* Eligible to work in the UK
* Undertake a Greater Manchester Police Vetting process.
Please call Madge on 0161 835 8772 for further details.
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age