Purpose of the Job
The candidate will be responsible for supporting the team in characterisation of bacterial strains, preparing bacterial cultures for screening assays and other ongoing projects, and participate in a high throughput pipeline and development of molecular analysis tools. Previous practical experience in Microbiology and excellent aseptic technical skills are essential along with a strong background in a wide range of microbiology and molecular techniques, with an emphasis on techniques associated with bacterial genetic manipulation and gene expression analysis. Training for specific assays and techniques will be provided. The post-holder will also be responsible for preparing reagents, maintaining stock levels, sample database management and present results at project meetings. The successful candidate will be flexible around start times as there will early, and late shifts might be required for the role. A degree of independent and flexible working is required.
Experience / Qualifications Required
* BSc or MSc degree or Higher National Certificate (HND) in microbiology, biochemistry, biology, biomedical sciences or related discipline
* Competency in a variety of microbiological laboratory techniques
* Experience with bacterial culturing techniques
* Experience in a range of molecular microbiology techniques including nucleic acid extractions, primer design and cloning
* Strong aseptic technical skills
* Ability to follow SOPs and an accurate way of working in the laboratory
* Excellent organisational skills and accurate record keeping, attention to detail
* Desirable: Experience with anaerobic bacteria
* Desirable: Basic bioinformatics skills
Key Areas of Responsibility
* Provide technical support, participate to assay development and validation for the microbiology teams
* Perform microbiological laboratory techniques and protocols
* Keep accurate and detailed records of data
* Attend and contribute to research group meetings
* Report results to the Team Leaders and senior members of the teams
* Able to work effectively as part of a Team and under minimal supervision from senior team members
If this sounds like the ideal position for you please don't hesitate to apply or call us to discuss further.
Location - Aberdeen
Posting date - 24/01/2020
Closing date - 24/02/2020
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.