The role of Technical Specialist within the operations team involves being primarily responsible for a particular technique/group of techniques. This role specifically includes technical oversight of all mass spectrometry related projects, responsibility for project design and proposal writing, in collaboration with commercial colleagues. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated their ability to develop and validate complex methods. Method development and validation will involve analysis of a range of test samples (substances, compounds, formulations, investigational or commercial products, raw materials) submitted by clients from the Life Sciences and related industries for techniques including; UHPLC / HPLC, GC, IC, GPC, MS and hyphenated MS techniques (GC-MS, LC-MS, MS-MS etc).
The ideal candidate will have proven experience in some or all of the above fields, plus experience of guiding and collaborating with co-workers, technical review of colleagues' data, and troubleshooting MS techniques in a commercial setting. The Bradford site operates to current Good Manufacturing Practice and regulatory Good Laboratory Practice, therefore experience of working in a regulated environment would also be beneficial.
This role does not have direct line management responsibilities, but the individual will be responsible for role modelling best practices and mentoring / coordinating upskilling of co-workers in their specialist area, including liaison with analytical colleagues at other Concept Life Sciences sites. The role requires detailed knowledge of the technique area, equipment, theoretical operational background, and practical in-depth knowledge of the hardware. As the development site for analytical techniques, it is important the candidate has experience of the critical parameters required for accurate and precise analysis as well as involvement in equipment installation and operation. This may include involvement in capital purchases and an understanding of the current market.
Main Duties to:
- Project design, proposal writing and analytical problem solving
- Revenue generating laboratory-based analytical project work, applying MS analytical techniques to a wide range of sample types / analytical challenges
- Interpretation of complex data sets from a range of techniques including UHPLC / HPLC, GC, IC, GPC and MS
- Associated data processing and report writing; peer review of data / reports generated by colleagues.
- Method development and validation, including drafting of related documents (methods, protocols, reports).
- Provide analytical support / guidance to junior staff members
- Training of co-workers in own specialist techniques.
- Client liaison, inter-group liaison, internal projects and initiatives.
- At least MSc but preferably PhD in an analytical chemistry or related scientific field with demonstrated, relevant experience.
- Broad practical experience in developing and validating analytical methods; method development research skills.
- Experienced in the use, maintenance and troubleshooting of complex analytical instrumentation.
- Experience of working in a regulated environment (quality, health and safety, cGMP).
- Able to identify and highlight own training needs, and proactively upskill.
- Proactive in your approach to your work.
If this sounds like the ideal role for you please apply or give us a call to discuss further.
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.