It takes serious technical knowledge to head up an Engineering team. So, as a leader, you'll need to be experienced, humble and also highly skilled. And whatever the problem, you'll find the perfect solution by inspiring your team to work as one, getting them to perform with clear technical direction.
We need your expertise to help us do something great for over 100 million travellers: make booking stays and journeys more sustainable and straightforward. It involves technical challenges and the latest technology, but that's ok by you - in fact, it's exactly what you want.
As an Engineering Manager, you'll guide your team to build robust, creative products, providing support and occasionally hands on development. You'll know all about building scalable systems using cloud technologies. And you'll also help Product Managers to define the product roadmap before inventing and developing fantastic new features. Though you'll be accountable for your own projects and trusted to deliver, you'll also form part of a broader team that takes collective responsibility for making success happen.
Already a global leader in travel, we want to elevate the way we work to a whole other level. In return, you'll get important things like medical insurance, health screenings, headspace subscriptions, the option to buy more holiday and a support programme for you and your loved ones. We'll also help you donate to good causes and spend time volunteering. And you'll have the opportunity to work from your home country for 3 weeks a year, and 30 days in our other global offices. Everything, in other words, to help you relax and give your best.
The advert is pretty general but here are the main parts of it;
* Leading a squad of engineers; 6-8 engineers ranging in experience
* Capable of coding in their role (up to 30% however they might not be that hands-on in the squad they join) - any language is fine, our main backend ones are Java & Python but we're open to people from other backgrounds
* Confident designing and architecting high scale systems
* Leading the team in terms of delivery and tech decision making
What we look for is;
* 1+ yr experience directly managing a team of engineers (3+ ppl) including 121s, performance appraisals, experience leading under-performers & high-flyers
* Strong system design & architecture skills at scale
* Ability to contribute at code level - (will accept Java, Python, .NET, C# as long as they're willing to learn and code in Java and/or Python)
* Cloud experience - AWS ideally (what we use) but will also be happy with GCP or Azure experience
On top of base salary there are;
* 10% annual performance bonus (personal & company based; split into 2x 5% pay-outs every 6 months, in line with our performance reviews)
* Milestone bonus (5% of their base salary - one-off cash bonus when we reach a milestone set by Ctrip.com, due to be hit in 2020)
* Shares; will be given an amount of shares as part of an offer which they'll own after 4 years; 10% after year 1, 30% after year 2, 3 & 4.
* Working from home up to 2 days per week
* Other standard benefits; 5% contributory pension, private medical, smaller benefits etc.
Interview process (under review, but currently);
* 1st stage: 2 hour video interview - 1 hour culture, 1 hour tech conversation
* Final stage (onsite if they're local): 4 hours + 1hr lunch - 2x 1hr system design interviews, 1 hour culture, 1 hour people management (+ 1 hour lunch)
* (There isn't a coding test for EMs)
Search is an equal opportunities recruiter and we welcome applications from all suitably skilled or qualified applicants, regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/beliefs, sexual orientation or age.