6 Benefits of the DBS Update Service
For carers and nurses who only stay in new places of work for short periods of time or regularly internally transfer, the importance of their Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check being carried over from each role to the next is vital.
Remember though, the DBS check is not automatically transferable. So if your check is to be used for multiple employers and workplaces, your certificate must be registered with the DBS update service that was launched in 2013.
This service lets you keep your certificate(s) up to date online and allows any potential employer to carry out a Status check. It also reduces the need to apply for multiple certificates when you move from one job to another in the same workforce or when a recheck is required - saving you time waiting for a new disclosure when applying to a new organization. This will also give you more flexibility in the roles you are offered and can accept.
This service still requires you to pay a £13 annual registration fee but this will ultimately save you a lot of time and money over the course of a year in comparison to the old Criminal Records Check system.
The Six Main Benefits of the DBS Update Service
- You don’t need to re-apply for a new DBS check every time you move to a different place of work or transfer within the same workforce.
- You know what you need to disclose to an employer
- Employers don’t have to wait for a DBS check to be received allowing you to start work quicker
- Minimises the risk of inaccurate information being disclosed to a third-party
- You can prevent and challenge disproportionate and over disclosed information before submission.
- You will always been able to check who has carried out a Status check on you.
Search Medical are here to help you with every step of your recruitment journey and will happily show you how to apply for a DBS certificate, register with the update service or both. If you have any other questions regarding the DBS update service, please contact a member of the Search Medical team in our Brighton, Crawley, Leeds, Leicester or Manchester offices.
By Jason Paterson